Friday, June 18, 2010

Week One!

Okay well how do I recap on a whole week? Let's see we picked up the Sopchoppy, Fl group at the ariport on Thursday and we headed to a small town called Guinope. It is about 2 hours from Tegucigalpa. Half of the ride was on a steep dirt mountain road. At one point it started raining and we had to tell people to get out of the bus so that it wouldnt go off the edge of the mountain...good thing i was sitting in the van behind the bus!

So we got to Guinope Thursday after noon. Here is a quick background on Guinope: it is a small town that consists of a few churches, two small schools, a bunch of pulperias (which are like hole in the wall places where you can buy food), and homes. I need to post some pictures because there is no way you can imagine what it looks like..haha my favorite part is that bulls, horses, cats, cows, and donkies just roam the streets where ever they please. Ha one morning we were on our way to church and there was a bull that just had its head chilling in someones front door...imagine waking up to that!

Anyway we were there to build some concrete floors for some people who everyday walked on a dirt floor inside their house. You can only imagine how happy they were. Also, we were conducting vacation bible school for all the kids of that town (which might I add that there were about 150 of them). This was by far that best part of the week. We sang songs, did some skits, and taught them about the love of Jesus Christ...however most of them know more of the Bible than I do...they have true faith in him. It was cool to see.

One day our group went to the middle school in Guinope to share our testimonies and just talk to them about Jesus...the principal was like tell them all you can about the Gospel...don't you wish we could do that at our schools! I shared my testimony in a 7th and 8th grade math class..ha and although I could never help them with math God had given me a message to tell that class. I don't know what kind of impact it had but I am trusting He will do what He wants with it! Then after that came my favorite part of being in honduras...FUTBOL!!!!!!!!!!! Which means soccer if you didn't know. Anyway I went out and asked the kids if I could play with them and of course neither team was to excited about a Gringo joining their team. However I did play and it was so much fun! Of course I got laughed at but that is the fun of it! I got to make them all happy because I stink at soccer!

We went to church most nights and their services are awesome... you can just tell how dependent they are on God by the way they worship...it is so encouraging. One night during church the power went out and we all just kept singing in the dark..sweeet! After bible study that night (which we had every night in the floor of a small hotel) the interns and I went back to the place we were staying and just stared at the stars for a while! With all the lights out you could see literally every star! So awesome..ry reminded me that those were the same stars and moon that you guys were all looking at and that made me happy!

Tue, Wed, and Thur I was really sick and did have much energy but i was still able to do VBS and what not. Thursday night and yesterday were the worst and I pretty much stayed in the bathroom a lot...lol I am not sure what happened but my body was clearing itself out completely...and not by throwing up if you know what I mean. They put me on prescription pills last night and I am feeling so much better today! yay God and Honduran prescription meds that you can get without even presenting a sick person.

Anyway I know this was long and not very descriptive but if i did write out everything you would never stop reading! Our mission this coming week is to take the kids from New Life orphanage to VBS camp. We will be hanging with them all week just playing and laughing. It is exactly like what our group did last year (which by the way I miss you all). I won't have internet again but will be back to the mission house Thursday or Friday next week! I am praying for you all and misssss you all sooo much! Know that God is moving in so many awesome ways here and I have seen so many people come to know Jesus Christ as their savior! ahhhhh ya! I know that God is moving in Georgia too...remember let Him work through you...its a decision we make everyday! Loveee you all be back next week :)

1 Corinthians 9:22-27 read it (yes even if you have to get up and get your Bible...its worth it)

love love love

6 comments:

  1. Alex! I'm soooo happy for you, I love reading all your blogs! Miss you dearly...just read 22-27 and loved it...it's very encouraging! Hope your feeling better...I'm so glad your having a great time! I've been doing good staying in the word, and ive been praying for you like crazy! Love you more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so are you still sick or not tell me i am getting very scared

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweets! Love to hear all the great things you are doing! We have been busy with work and not doing anything fun! Please keep us informed about what you are up to. Get some rest if you can and drink lots of fluid! Glad you are feeling better....sending hugs and kisses and prayers for you and your team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Little One! Love you and miss you. I love the way you write, I can just picture what's going on...Well not the bathroom part.
    Rest and drink lots of water (bottled). Hope you feel better and have the strength to make all the children smile. You are a gift to them and they are in turn a gift to you. Prayers go out for you and your team.
    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo, it is amazing to read this and just imagine the awesome difference you are making over there! Simply by reading your blog I can feel Jesus Christ moving in me and in you and every life yall have touched over there! Your doing amazing work in His name. Keep up the good work, be safe, and I love you!!!!
    In His Love,
    Katie Register

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex, I enjoyed the past week soo much! Im so glad that God put us on a trip together! I will be praying for you and all the interns everyday this summer and i pray that God will use every one of you to change the lives of the people in Honduras! Love ya girl and keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete